Get to know what causes high cholesterol
What causes high cholesterol? Knowing what causes high cholesterol has immense practical significance. High cholesterol may lead to numerous medical conditions and diseases. Scientists describe two kinds of cholesterol: good cholesterol that decreases the risk of vascular diseases and bad cholesterol that increases this risk. Many factors may contribute to the derangements of cholesterol levels. Therefore, it is good to know what causes high cholesterol.
What causes high cholesterol and cannot be controlled?
Researchers found genetic predisposition to high cholesterol. Some ethnic groups are more vulnerable to high cholesterol. It was also found that with age the probability of atherosclerosis increases. Gender is no less important. Men develop high cholesterol more often than women. Early menopausal women frequently have higher cholesterol levels than other women.
What causes high cholesterol and can be controlled?
Lifestyle and some illnesses may lead to high cholesterol levels. Fortunately, it is possible to diminish their detrimental influence on health if you understand what causes high cholesterol.
- Nutritional aspects are of importance and must be taken into consideration. Some foods, such as eggs and kidneys, do contain cholesterol; however, this cholesterol does not produce significant influence on cholesterol levels in blood. On the contrary, saturated fats are important from the standpoint of high cholesterol. Saturated fats are found in red meat, sausages, lard, cheese, cakes, biscuits, and cream.
- Sedentary lifestyle favors cholesterol deviations. Lack of exercise may result in higher levels of bad cholesterol and lower levels of good cholesterol.
- Smoking increases cholesterol levels. Consumption of considerable amounts of alcoholic drinks also leads to higher cholesterol levels.
- Overweight and obesity predispose to high cholesterol.
What causes high cholesterol among ill people?
Such medical conditions as diabetes, hypertension, kidney diseases, liver affections, hypothyroidism, and high levels of triglycerides in blood may result in high cholesterol. Some medicaments may increase triglyceride levels and lower good cholesterol. These medications include thiazide diuretics, beta-blockers, estrogen, and corticosteroids.
How to fight with what causes high cholesterol?
- Fruits, vegetables, foods rich in fiber, vitamin C, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants are important dietary constituents for the protection of good health and maintaining the cholesterol levels within normal range.
- It is good to realize the program of regular exercise. It is also good to change attitude to existence and keep to healthy way of life.
- It is important to treat medical conditions that contribute to what causes high cholesterol.